The Batesville Area Historical Society formed on May 20, 1999, with new Batesville resident Doug Evans spearheading the group, which included Judy Tonges and Jean Struewing . Mr. Evans served as the organizations first president, followed by Jean Streuwing in 2000. Mrs. Struewing served as president for many years. On August 18, 2008, BAHS purchased the historic house on George Street and transformed it into its museum, a function it serves today. Batesville Area Historical Society The BAHS met monthly, most times at the Batesville Memorial Public Library. Some meetings took place at other sites of historic interest to the community. Many of the early meetings featured speakers or demonstrations of historic interest to the members. Batesville Area Historical Society Museum The first museum operated by BAHS operated in a vacant store structure on Main Street during Batesville’s 2002 Sesquicentennial year. After the year of celebration, the Batesville Memorial Public Library agreed to allow BAHS to operate a museum in a building it had purchased on Boehringer Street. This facility opened in 2003. It would remain open until BMPL needed the building, forcing BAHS to put the displays into storage. Batesville Area Historical Society Museum BAHS member Elsa Soderberg provided a substantial donation to BAHS to establish a museum in Batesville. On August 18, 2008, BAHS purchased the historic home on George Street to use as a museum. John O. Kaiser, who had established a tavern in Batesville in 1899, had built the home around 1910. The home’s original location was on the site of the current Post Office. It had been moved to its current location when the post office relocated there in 1937. The structure has served as a home and medical office until BAHS purchased it. The structure features a mural painted by students of the 2002 Batesville High School art class and the wood basketball floor from the old Batesville High School Gym. The first floor of the museum features special exhibits hosted by the museum during the year and the upper floor displays from local businesses in Batesville. For more information, contact: Batesville Area Historical Society 15 West George Street 812-934-3266 http://www.batesvilleareahistoricalsociety.org/
The Batesville Town Board first approached the idea of building a library in Batesville in January 1905. The Board discussed the idea at the January 9 meeting and passed a resolution to approach the Carnegie Foundation for funds to build it on February 27, 1905. The Carnegie Foundation offered ten thousand dollars on condition that the town commits ten percent of that amount annually for the upkeep of the library. This effort failed, as did others later. By 1913, the Carnegie funds in Indiana ran out. New Life The effort to establish a new library in Batesville flared into life once again on February 23, 1928. Miss Hazel Warren, representing the Indiana State Library gave a presentation to interested Batesville citizens at the High School. Her talk, “How to Organize a Public Library” outlined different procedures a community may follow in establishing a library. In 1928, Batesville still utilized the Public Library Service, offered by the State Library. Under this system, the Indiana State Library would send a lot of books to a community for the community to use for three months. At the end of that term, the books returned to the State Library, who would then send out another lot of books. Miss Warren stated that Batesville was the largest town in Indiana still using the Public Library Service. She also noted that there were ten townships in Ripley County with no access to a library. Following this meeting, the Parents and Teachers Association began holding meetings during the remainder of 1928. The following year, a group of citizens met at the Memorial Building on April 10, 1929 to discuss plans. Success Finally, in 1933, the reading public of Batesville succeeded in establishing a library. The modest beginning of the library consisted of one room at the new grade school building on Mulberry Street. The library would occupy these modest digs until 1938, when room became available in the basement of the Memorial Building on Main Street. Library patrons and staff continued an ongoing campaign to obtain more space for the library. This almost happened in 1945, when three rooms on the top floor of the Memorial Building became available. The new librarian, Haze Andreas, lobbied city officials heavily for the space; however, they gave the space to the Girl Scouts instead. At about this time, Head Librarian Andreas began compiling annual reports to use to try to justify the need for more space. Meanwhile, she made do by having the shop class at the high school build more bookshelves and came up with ingenious ideas to better utilize the space she had. Her first report, in 1945, noted that the library contained 2300 books and 246 cardholders and was open only ten and a half hours per week. Expansion The Girl Scouts moved into their new home at the corner of Pearl and Mulberry Street, leaving the top three rooms in the Memorial Building open again in 1948. This time Andreas was successful. She gained access to these rooms and engineered the move to this more spacious area. Local businesses donated furniture for the expanded library, which would serve the Batesville public until 1974. Mrs. Andreas initiated a number of programs designed to increase library usage. These efforts included a children’s story hour, reading clubs and poster contests. The effort succeeded and by the late 1960’s the library again needed more space. Batesville Memorial Public Library The John A Hillenbrand family donated a tract of land located between Walnut Street, Schrader Street, Elm Street and Hillenbrand Avenue for a new library in 1974. The land had served as the Hillenbrand family home. Hazel Andreas, still serving as head librarian, engineered another move, to the new Batesville Memorial Public Library, which was dedicated on October 20, 1974. Mrs. Andreas retired the following February, after serving as head librarian for thirty years. George C. and Margaret Hillenbrand Wing By 1988, the library needed more room, so they constructed an addition that almost doubled the size of the facility. This new George C. and Margaret Hillenbrand Wing was dedicated on October 2, 1988. In 2003, the Library acquired the Cinergy office building on Boehringer Street. They allowed the Batesville Area Historical Society to use the building, now called the Library Annex, as a museum until 2007, when the BAHS moved to its current museum on George Street. The library uses the Annex to host various events and programs. Meeting rooms in the Annex are available for individual or group use. Other services offered by the library include public computers, wireless internet access, meeting rooms and of course, books to read. Visitors will also find DVD’s magazines, special collections audio books, ebooks and newspapers. The library also has an extensive genealogy room for local families to use to research their family trees.
Batesville Memorial Public Library 131 North Walnut Street Batesville, IN 47006-4897 (812) 934-4706 http://ebatesville.com
Sample Chapter A History of Batesville Bischoff Reservoir Elevation – 957.43 Feet Above Sea Level Brief History Constructed in 1960 on Bob’s Creek, the city owned lake provides about 1200 acre feet of water to serve Batesville’s need. Since this is about 79% of the lakes capacity, managing for fishing is difficult. Workers drained the lake in 1966 to improve the quality of the water and remove undesirable fish. A fish survey at the time of draining revealed that the lake held about 300 pounds of fish per acre. The city restocked the lake after it refilled with large mouth bass, red ear sunfish, channel catfish, and white catfish. Location Bounded by Indiana State Road 46 on the north, Indiana State Road 129 on the west, County Road 1300 N to the south and County Road 450 E, the 200 acre lake serves as a major water supply for the City of Batesville. The thirty-eight foot tall, 640 foot long earthen dam may be seen from County Road 1400 N, accessed from Indiana State Road 129. Residential housing developments, forest and agricultural lands surround the lake. Bischoff’s has an average depth of 8.1 feet, with the deepest point about 27 feet. Bischoff’s has a watershed of about five square miles. Water Capacity and Lake Access With a capacity of 624 million gallons and 1920 acre feet capacity, the lake also affords area anglers with ample catches of channel catfish, large mouth bass, smallmouth bass and white crappie. Anglers will find a concrete ramp public access site on County Road 1400 N, accessed from Church Street in nearby Morris, Indiana east of Batesville on Indiana State Road 46. Boats with gasoline motors of up to six horsepower and electric trolling motors are permitted to use the lake. Anglers must possess an Indiana Fishing License. Bischoff’s is also locally known as the Morris Reservoir or the Batesville Reservoir.
A History of Batesville, Indiana Description: A history of Batesville, its organizations, churches, highways, waterways and more. Publishing Date – TBA Sometime in 2020 Visit Mossy Feet Books on Facebook
Buy Direct from Author Softbound Price – $TBA Sample Chapter Sample Chapter Sample Chapter Sample Chapter Ripley County History Series Historic Travel Guide to Ripley County A History of Indiana Libraries – Ripley County Edition A History of Napoleon, Indiana Indiana Fire Departments History – Ripley County Edition – Published Spring 2020 A History of Batesville, Indiana
Other Books in the Facebook Available In Multiple Formats – Ebook And Softbound: Kindle Amazon Softbound Barnes & Noble Barnes & Noble – Softbound Kobo Google Play Scribid 24 Symbols Walmart Books Apple Wholesale Pricing Available For more information, contact: Mossyfeetbooks@gmail.com Orders over $50.00 Free Shipping
Bernard Kroger established his first grocery store at 66 Pearl Street in 1883 in Cincinnati, Ohio using his life savings of $372 to fund the undertaking. His motto was, “Be particular. Never sell anything you would not want yourself.” His goal was to create a “one stop,” store that would allow his customers to buy everything they needed at one store, eliminating the need to visit several establishments.
Growth of Kroger
In 1884 Kroger opened a second location. Kroger pioneered a number of new concepts in the business of selling groceries. In 1902 Kroger became the first grocery chain to incorporate in in-store bakery. Prior to 1916 all grocery stores had their goods stocked on shelves behind the counter. Customers would enter the store, approach the counter and order what they wanted from a clerk, who would then get the item off the shelf and place it in front of them. When the customer had completed their selections, the clerk would add up their purchases and present a total, which the customer paid and left the store. In 1916 Kroger pioneered the practice of self service stores. In this new concept, customers entered the store, made their own selections from merchandise placed on shelves and then took them to the clerk, who would total their purchases and present them with a bill. The company continued adding new stores, expanding its business. By 2019 the company had become the largest grocery chain in the United States.
Kroger in Batesville
Kroger established a grocery store on October 3, 1921 in the Lehmkuehler Building on the corner of Walnut and Boehringer Streets in Batesville. Sometime in the 1940’s the store moved to a location at the corner of George and Sycamore Streets. The store occupied this location until 1970, when it moved to the new downtown Shopping Village in downtown Batesville. In 1980 Kroger moved to a new store at Cross County Plaza near Interstate 74. In 2004 the store opened a 100,000 sq. ft. store at its present location, across from Cross County Plaza.