Title of Marker: Westernmost Naval Battle of the Revolution Location: 0.7 mile south of junction of SR 58 & US 41, between Old US 41/Earl J. Abe Rogers Road & new US 41, Carlisle. (Sullivan County, Indiana) Installed by: Erected by the Sullivan County Historical Society 1985 Marker ID #: 77.1985.1 Marker Text: On 25 February 1779 Col. George Rogers Clark captured Ft. Sackville at Vincennes from the British. About 6 miles west at Pointe Coupee on the Wabash River on 2 March 1779 Capt. Leonard Helm commanding 3 boats and 50 volunteers from Vincennes captured a reinforcement fleet of 7 boats carrying 40 soldiers and valuable supplies and Indian trade goods. This small naval battle completed destruction of British military strength in the Wabash Valley. Brief History by the Author Colonel George Rogers Clark captured Vincennes from the British garrison that held it in July 1778. Clark left Captain Leonard Helm in charge of a militia force to hold the town. Clark departed with his main force to capture Cahokia and Caskaskia near the Mississippi River. After Clark departed most of the militia under Helm deserted, leaving Captain Helm with only a handful of men. Hearing that Vincennes was now in the hands of the Americans, British Lieutenant-Governor Henry Hamilton left Detroit and moved against Vincennes to recapture it. He succeeded in taking the post, making Helm and the remainder of his soldiers captives. Fur trader Francis Vigo visited the fort after Hamilton had captured it. Hamilton took him prisoner, and then released him after Vigo would not aid the Americans during his return trip. To honor the promise, Vigo returned to St. Louis. After his return, Vigo traveled to Kaskaskia, a distance of fifty miles, to inform Clark that the British held Vincennes. Recapturing Vincennes Clark responded by leading his 170 men through 180 miles of flooded countryside in eighteen days. In a surprise attack, Clark took Vincennes. Helm took an active part in the negotiations. The Naval Battle Clark learned that a shipment of supplies was due to come down the Wabash from Detroit. He dispatched Captain Leonard Helm with three boats and fifty men. The American force encountered the enemy at night by discerning the fires of the enemy in the darkness. Helm’s men surrounded the British flotilla and captured it without firing a shot. The British supplies became American supplies. British power in the Western theatre was broken.
Title of Marker: The Lincoln Funeral Train Location: 100 E. Michigan Blvd. (U.S. 12), Michigan City, IN 46360 (Laporte County, Indiana) Installed by: Installed 2010 Indiana Historical Bureau and Indiana Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission Marker ID #: 46.2010.1 Marker Text: Assassinated President Abraham Lincoln’s funeral was April 19, 1865 at the White House.1 The funeral train left for Springfield, Illinois April 21 directed by military; stops en route allowed the public to pay homage. 2 From Indianapolis, train passed mourners lighted by bonfires and torches along the way; arrived in Michigan City by 8:35 a.m., May 1.3 Residents decorated depot north of here with memorial arches adorned with roses, evergreens, flags, and images of Lincoln. 4 Train stopped to switch engines and to allow dignitaries from Illinois and Indiana to board. Sixteen women entered funeral car to place flowers on casket.5 Train left for Chicago on Michigan Central Railroad; track was lined with mourners.6 Brief History by the Author Southern sympathizer and actor John Wilkes Booth assassinated President Abraham Lincoln at Ford’s Theatre on April 15, 1865. It was just six days after General Robert E. Lee had surrendered the Army of Northern Virginia to Union General Ulysses S. Grant. The surrender effectively ended the Civil War that had raged across the nation for four years. After funeral services in the White House on April 19, 1865 after lying in state in the East Room of the White house on April 18. After the funeral, an honor guard transported the casket holding the body to the Rotunda at the United States Capitol for a ceremonial service. The body lay in state on April 20. At 7:00 AM, an honor guard escorted the President to a waiting funeral train that would transport the President to Springfield, Illinois for burial. The funeral procession for President Lincoln began at 8:00 AM with around 10,000 people observing. The route the train would take would mirror the route he took on his journey to Washington DC from Springfield, Illinois on his inauguration journey in 1861. Before reaching Indiana, the train would travel through Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, and Ohio. The President’s son, Todd, who had died in the White House was disinterred and placed in the train for burial with his father. Last Time in Indiana The President reached the state he spent his boyhood in, crossing the Ohio Border into Richmond, Indiana at 7:00 AM, April 30, 1865. Indiana Governor Oliver P. Morton got on the train and accompanied the fallen President to Indianapolis, where Lincoln lay in state in the Capitol Rotunda. Thousands gathered to pay their last respects to the fallen President. Along the way, the train passed through various Indiana towns, including Centreville, Germantown, Cambridge, Knightstown and Charlottesville. Church bells tolled and crowds gathered to watch the solemn procession stream by. A heavy rain had accompanied Lincoln along the route. The rain prevented Governor Morton from delivering his public address. The train departed Indianapolis late in the evening and arrived at Michigan City, Indiana. At Michigan City, the train delayed while Chicago dignitaries gathered to board the train to accompany the President to Chicago. Local officials conducted an unscheduled funeral as they waited. The train departed Michigan City May 1, 1865 at 8:35 AM. Lincoln left Indiana, the place of his boyhood, for the last time.
Guide to Indiana’s Historic Sites – North West Edition Indiana Historic Travel Guide Book Series Take a fun tour through the rich history of Indiana using Guide to Indiana’s Historic Sites – Northwest Edition as your guidebook. This tourism guide will help visitors find all of the historical treasures in Northwest Indiana. The counties included in this historical travel book include: Carroll Cass Clinton Elkhart Fulton Kosciusko Marshall Miami St. Joseph Wabash Howard
April 26, 1884 – The Great Wallace Show Begins – Peru Benjamin E. Wallace opened his Wallace and Co.’s Great World Menagerie, Grand International Mardi Gras, Highway Holiday Hidalgo and Alliance of Novelties in Peru, Indiana on April 26, 1884. The show began with great fanfare, featuring a parade of exotic animals, top-notch performers and brass band. Benjamin E. Wallace (October 4, 1847 – April 7, 1921) A native of Johnstown, Pennsylvania, Benjamin was the son of Ephraim and Rebecca Wallace. Wallace migrated to Peru, Indiana and established a livery business there. He became interested in the circus business so he and a business partner, James Anderson, began assembling a collection of circus equipment. The largest complement of equipment came from a circus called the W. C. Coup Circus. This circus had become financially unstable and went bankrupt. Wallace traveled to Detroit and purchased much of the equipment, which included rail cars full of tents, poles, costuming and other equipment. From other circuses, he obtained many of the animals he would need for the act. He set up headquarters outside of Peru and billed his first show for April 26, 1884 in Peru. Fire Strikes On January 25, 1884, a fire from an overheated stove swept through the circus. The fire killed many of the animals. Monkeys, tigers, deer and other animals perished in the fire. Wallace persisted with the opening of the show. Until the damaged living quarters for the animals could be repaired, he kept many of the surviving animals in an abandoned chair factory on Second Street in Peru. Opening Night The Wallace and Co.’s Great World Menagerie, Grand International Mardi Gras, Highway Holiday Hidalgo and Alliance of Novelties in Peru opened on schedule, accompanied by the Peru brass band and over 5,000 spectators. Spectators packed the two performances, with many turned away. The show was a success. The season open, the circus went on tour, visiting many small towns in southern Indiana and Ohio. The tour also included towns in Kentucky and Virginia. Since there was no entertainment of any sort in most of these towns, people packed the shows. Wallace did not disappoint them as his retinue included some of the best performers and animals that were well trained and treated. The next year he shortened the name to The Great Wallace Show. He had winter quarters for the circus in Peru. Hagenbeck-Wallace Circus The circus continued for many years with increasing success. In 1907, Wallace purchased the Carl Hagenbeck Circus. He combined the two acts into the Hagenbeck-Wallace Circus, which continued operations until the Flood of 1913 damaged the circus and killed many of the animals. He sold the circus to a corporation that continued the circus as the American Circus Corporation before operations finally ceased in 1938. International Circus Hall of Fame See a miniature of the 1934 Hagenbeck Wallace Circus as well as many other circus related exhibits. International Circus Hall of Fame 3076 E. Circus Lane Peru, IN 46970 800-771-0241 firstname.lastname@example.org
Guide to Indiana’s Historic Sites – North Central Edition Road Trips in North Central Indiana
Take a fun tour through the rich history of Indiana using Guide to Indiana’s Historic Sites – North Central Edition as your guidebook. This tourism guide will help visitors find all of the historical treasures in Northeast Indiana. The counties included in this historical travel book include: Carroll Cass Clinton Elk-hart Fulton Kosciusko Marshall Miami St. Joseph Wabash Howard
Guide to Indiana’s Historic Sites North East Edition
Johnny Appleseed Park
This thirty-one acre park serves as the final resting place for Johnny Appleseed. The park is home to the annual Johnny Appleseed Festival in September. John Chapman (Johnny Appleseed) (September 26, 1774 – March 18, 1845) The son of Nathaniel Chapman and Elizabeth Simonds Chapman, John was a native of Leominster, Massachusetts. His mother died giving birth to a son, who died about two weeks after his mother. Nathaniel had enlisted in the Continental Army. He was away at war when his wife died. Historians know little of Chapman’s early life. He and his eleven-year-old brother migrated west into the Northwest Territory in 1792. The two boys lived a life in the wilderness until their father migrated into the new state of Ohio in 1805. Apparently, at that time, John became apprenticed to a nurseryman who tended apple trees. Thus began Chapman’s lifelong career. Johnny Appleseed Businessman Most of the legends that surround Johnny Appleseed, the nickname that people gave him, involve him randomly planting apple seeds in the frontier. The truth is far different. Chapman foresaw that the frontier would expand west. By planting the apples, he established a claim on the land on which they were planted. He moved ahead of the wave of settlement, planting apple tree seeds, a valuable commodity on the frontier. Thus, by the time he died in 1845 he had accumulated over 1200 acres land. By the time the apple trees were ready to sell to incoming pioneers, the pioneers had arrived to buy them. Johnny Appleseed Nurseryman Chapman moved through the wilderness, choosing his land carefully. Once he found choice spots, he would clear a section, fence it and plant his seeds. Every couple of years he would return to the site to tend the seedlings. He worked mostly in the states of Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana. When the pioneers arrived near his nursery, he would sell off the trees, then much of the land. He sold his seedlings for three cents each, seven cents if he wanted the buyers to allow him to plant them. The apples he planted were not the familiar types found in grocery stores and orchards today. These apples were hard, tart and nutritious. Pioneers used them to make cider, applejack, apple butter and other frontier staples. Missionary Chapman was a devout Christian and a member of the Church of Swedenborg, known as the New Church. During his travels, he served his church as a missionary, spreading his message to isolated pioneer homesteads, where he frequently boarded, and to the natives he encountered as he traveled. He would spend his evenings at a homestead spinning stories and telling about his faith. His beliefs spurred his celibacy. Chapman never married, believing that God would reward his abstinence in heaven. Death at Fort Wayne Chapman lived in the Fort Wayne area from the mid-1830’s until his death in 1845. His orchard about twelve miles south of Fort Wayne, on the banks of the Maumee River, held around 12,000 trees. He died in Fort Wayne in 1845 and is interred in Johnny Appleseed Park in Fort Wayne. Johnny Appleseed Park 1500 E Coliseum Blvd Fort Wayne, IN 46805 Johnny Appleseed Festival (260) 427-6720
Guide to Indiana’s Historic Sites – North East Edition Road Trips in Northeast Indiana Take a fun tour through the rich history of Indiana using Guide to Indiana’s Historic Sites – Northeast Edition as your guidebook. This tourism guide will help visitors find all of the historical treasures in Northeast Indiana. The counties included in this historical travel book include: DeKalb Grant Huntington LaGrange Noble Starke Steuben Wells Whitley Adams Allen Blackford
Guide to Indiana’s Historic Sites – West Central Edition Road Trips in West Central Indiana Take a fun tour through the rich history of Indiana using Guide to Indiana’s Historic Sites – West Central Edition as your guidebook. This tourism guide will help visitors find all of the historical treasures in west central Indiana.The counties included in this historical travel book include:ParkeClay Fountain Mongomery MorganOwenPutnam SullivanVermillionVigo Warren
Guide to Indiana’s Historic Sites – Central Edition – 28th Regiment USCT
Guide to Indiana’s Historic Sites Central Edition Title of Marker: 28th Regiment USCT Location: Virginia Avenue & McCarty Street, Indianapolis. (Marion County, Indiana) Installed by: Installed: 2004 Indiana Historical Bureau, Indiana War Memorials Commission, Andrew & Esther Bowman, and African American Landmarks Committee of Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana, Inc. Marker ID #: 49.2004.5 Marker Text: Side one: Indiana’s only African-American Civil War regiment served as part of the 28th Regiment of U.S. Colored Troops. African-American infantry was authorized in 1863 to help fill federal quota for soldiers. The Reverend Willis Revels was recruiting officer. Recruits trained at Camp Fremont, established on land near here owned by Calvin Fletcher. Side two: In April 1864, six companies were organized and activated. The 28th regiment served valiantly in the Battle of the Crater at Petersburg, Virginia on July 30, 1864, when nearly half of the men were killed or wounded. The 28th returned to Indianapolis January 6, 1866 to a reception in its honor; officers and men were discharged January 9. Brief History The United States Department of War authorized the only black troops from Indiana that would serve during the American Civil War on November 30, 1863. Enlistments began on December 3, 1863 and moved to a training camp on the south side of Indianapolis called Camp Fremont. The regiment’s commanding officer was Captain Charles S. Russell. The regiment left Indiana on April 24, 1864 for Washington, DC and then to Alexandra, Virginia for additional training. Combat On June 21, the 28th engaged in its first battle at White House, Virginia. General Sherman took the unit along on his march through the Chickahominy swamp. During this campaign, the unit suffered heavy casualties. It participated in the sieges of Richmond and Petersburg in Virginia. It lost almost half its soldiers to death and wounding at the Battle of the Crater in Virginia. After reinforcement and enlargement to a full regiment, the unit marched into Richmond, Virginia on Richmond, April 4, 1865. At war’s end, the Army deployed the regiment to Brazos, Santiago and Corpus Christi, Texas to deal with unrest there. The regiment mustered out on November 8, 1865. It returned to Indianapolis on January 8, 1866 to a reception held in its honor.
Guide to Indiana’s Historic Sites – Central Edition Indiana Historic Travel Guide Book
Take a fun tour through the rich history of Indiana using Guide to Indiana’s Historic Sites – Central Edition as your guidebook. This tourism guide will help visitors find all of the historical treasures in central Indiana. The counties included in this historical travel book include:
Other Books in the Series Guide to Indiana’s Historic Sites – South East Edition Guide to Indiana’s Historic Sites – South Central Edition Guide to Indiana’s Historic Sites – Southwest Edition Guide to Indiana’s Historic Sites – East Central Edition Guide to Indiana’s Historic Sites – Central Edition Guide to Indiana’s Historic Sites – West Central Edition Guide to Indiana’s Historic Sites – North East Edition Guide to Indiana’s Historic Sites – North Central Edition Guide to Indiana’s Historic Sites – North West Edition
Wholesale Pricing Available For more information contact: Mossyfeetbooks@gmail.com